30 November 2011

St Andrew the Vigilant and Generous

On November 30, we celebrate the feast of St Andrew whom I call vigilant and generous.

When Andrew encountered Christ, he went and told his brother Simon Peter he had found the messaih and brought him to Jesus. He did not keep the discovery to himself.

On the mountain where Jesus fed the five thousand - it was Andrew who saw the boy with the five loaves and pointed him out to Jesus. In the presence of that large hungry crowd, he could have kept it a secret and strike a deal with the boy to satisfy his hunger. He did not keep the discovery to himself.

How often have I gone to the store and found a great sale and kept it to myself, when friends and even relatives can benefit from the deal? And can I actually buy the whole store?

How many generous people have I encountered and established a relationship with them, yet refused to introduce them to other friends who might benefit from their generousity?

When will I stop advising persons who have introduced me to a "treasure" not to tell anyone else about it?


Lord,
grant me the grace to be a flowing fountain,
give me the courage to sieze being a sinking hole.
St Andrew, apostle and friend of Jesus, interceed for me.